AGG Software Forums
September 16, 2024, 11:40:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on our forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seral Priner Logger  (Read 25391 times)
Ashpoint

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2014, 04:51:45 AM »

I have an old PABX (HyBrex G1-824) and I thought that the Serial Printer Logger would be an ideal substitute for a dot-matrix printer.  I also have the SM3 programmers manual and software to control the PABX.  Everything seems to be done through COM2

if I set up the Serial Printer Logger in spy mode, then I am seeing the output from the SM3 module.  If I turn off spy mode then I see nothing.

I believe I have configured the SMDR correctly on the HyBrex – but nothing appears at the Serial Printer Logger.

Whilst I don't see any reference in the documentation, it occurs to me that I might need to have a printer driver between the Computer–Com2–Logger.  I have tried installing a generic printer driver but was a failed experiment.

Any comments and observations would be welcome.

Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:25:47 AM »

Hi,

You need:
1. remove all printer drivers that use COM2.
2. disable the spy mode.
3. enable hardware flow control (RTS/CTS).

In this case the program will emulate a serial printer.

Also I can recommend our Advanced PBX Data Logger that can additionally give you reports using the logged data.
Ashpoint

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:55:34 AM »

Thank you for the prompt response.  I have tried both of your products and your suggested settings.  I am still unable to get a report printed onto either device,

I have studied the programmers manual for the PABX and believe I have configured SMBR correctly but the experiments to date would indicate to me that I am just not getting a printer output from the PABX.

The PABX has been working correctly for some years in relation to communications.  We never had a printer before.  I just cannot find the "trigger" that makes the PABX to output the data to the Serial Printer Logger.

I have the programmer's handbook for the PABX - perhaps one of your readers can see my errors. It is a bit over 2mb so J can not supply it via the forum.  Send me an email address and I will be honoured to send the file and get reader comments.  In the meantime I have a PDF file of the SMBR settings

* Hybrex_20140212A.pdf (48.6 KB - downloaded 0 times.)
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 01:06:36 PM »

Did you connect the PBX with the same cable that you used for the printer? If yes, then you need a null modem (crossed) cable.
Ashpoint

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:50:06 PM »

Wow Arthur, that's a significant suggestion and one that puzzles me.  It is 1am here in Sydney, Australia, but tomorrow I will get a RJ-11 - DB9 connector and create a null cable.

If you are correct, it will mean I have a different cable for the PABX to Printer (for printing) and PABX to Computer (for programming the PABX) - doesn't seem correct to me but it will be well worth trying. Very exciting!

I'm attaching a drawing of the cable (RJ-11 to DB9) I am presently using with the PABX.

* Page44.pdf (93.15 KB - downloaded 3 times.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:05:33 PM by Ashpoint » Logged
Ashpoint

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »

Hello Arthur,

I went this morning and purchased a couple of "build yourself" DB9 connectors.  It turned out that the one that I built is identical to the one I have been using to date.  In my last message I sent an attachment titled "page22" which describes the CAT5 to DB9 that I have constructed today.

So, no progress!

I did find a reference to a null modem titled "Handshaking Looped Back."  It involves the crossing of TX and RX plus the ground wire.  In other words pins 4 & 5 (green and red) are swapped and pin 2 (black) goes directly to ground (5).

Pins 7 and 8 and 4 and 6 are joined on the DB9. 

I am happy to give this configuration a trial – what you think?

I have the manual for the HyBrex PABX which I can send you that will be of use (about 2 MB)

This regards,
Michael

Edited to tidy wrong dictation text in last paragraph) Ashpoint

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:40:41 PM by Ashpoint » Logged
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »

Hello, Michael.

The schematic from the PDF file already look as the "null modem" (TX is connected with RX). But this cable uses the DTR signal only. Therefore you need to enable "Use DTR" option in our software.
Ashpoint

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:32:31 PM »

Hi Arthur,

You seem to be making progress with my issue – thank you for your perseverance.

I am now using the Advanced PBX Logger.  According to your recommendation, on the page titled "data flow control"only the DTR box is ticked "software data control is none."

Every time there is an event on the PABX I am seeing a timestamp on one line.  On the second line is a row of garbage characters.  I am attaching a screenshot.

* Capture.JPG (31.06 KB, 485x135 - viewed 5 times.)
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 09:49:08 AM »

This garbage means an invalid baudrate or number of data bits. Try to play with it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: