AGG Software Forums
September 08, 2024, 03:56:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on our forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sql database professional port handling  (Read 31197 times)
ikjeft01

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2009, 02:01:08 AM »

i do not see anything in the documentation concerning configuration of ports for SQL Server and Oracle. Where would these be set up? On the server side, configuring non-standard ports allows for a modest increase in security (but if SDP is unable to utilize, that's not so good).

is there a way to see (and hopefully edit) the actual connection string used to connect to the database?

In cases where connection pooling (load balancing, fail-over) has been enabled on the network, how can this be configured within SDP?

Does any additional database client software need to be installed in order to use SDP? Thinking specifically of the Oracle clients... if oracle client software is necessary, can the thin client be used in lieu of the thick client?

thanks
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:56:05 AM »

You can look at the documentation for additional connection attributes. Also the program can use the custom port automatically, when you'll configure the client tools on the client computer. The program requires client tools for your database. The module requires one DLL only for the MSSQL database. I can't say anything about the thin and the thick client for Oracle.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:10:19 AM by Arthur Grasin » Logged
ikjeft01

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »

your answers confuse me. if SDP relies upon the database client to be installed and configured, why do i need to configure SDP for ports and such?

i am concerned that aggsoft says the software works with oracle, but yet doesn't know what is required to work with oracle.

assume i have a computer with a fresh install of windows XP pro. what software do i have to install (beyond the aggsoft data logging software) in order for this to work with oracle? let me know what YOU have installed, and how YOU configured it.

the documentation is severly lacking in this area.
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »

You need to install the "Oracle Database Instant Client" software. (Basic edition and sometimes ODBC Supplement, ODAC). Because we don't use custom ports, then we don't configure the client tools, just install it.
ikjeft01

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 09:15:58 PM »

thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: