AGG Software Forums
September 20, 2024, 12:52:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on our forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Parser/Excel Problems (NMEA Data Logger)  (Read 15305 times)
sackmann

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2010, 08:36:47 AM »

I am very new to the suite of AGG software and have run into a couple of problems.  I am currently trying to use the NMEA Logger to parse NMEA sentences from a Garmin GPS and write specific values directly to an Excel file (via Local [Desktop] Database plugin).  When I initially start logging everything works fine, a log file is created as expected and a corresponding Excel spreadsheet is populated with the parsed data. 

However, after awhile things start to go awry with the Excel file.  The first thing I notice is that the Excel file size changes continually and I am unable to move/copy the file...even if I close the COM port the NMEA Logger still reports that local data are being processed (the message updates every 4 seconds)...even though there are no new data coming in???  Its as if the software is caught in some kind of bizzare loop that it can't break out of.  When I did finally manage to restart my machine there was only a small fraction of the expected data in the Excel spreadsheet.

Any ideas on what I might be doing incorrectly???  I am currently trying a test with Delimited output to see if I have the same problem...
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »

If your data flow is very fast then the program can collect data in an internal buffer and write to an Excel file as fast as possible. It may cause this situation, when you closed the port, but the program still writes data.

Could you attach a backup of your settings and I'll try it on my PC? You can create the backup from the File menu.
sackmann

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »

Thank you for your prompt reply, unfortunately I overwrote the settings I was using to try and get the output in Delimited format.  I will try a re-create the problem and send along the configuration information.

On a related note...things behaved better when I wrote the output to CSV.  Unfortunately, I set the program to create 'daily' log files and CSV output.  For some reason data collection terminated last night at midnight.  I got a few lines of data in the next days log file but no new CSV file was created.  I believe there was an error displayed that said something about an UART overload.  Is there some way to avoid this problem?  I really need a solution that will log data continuously and reliably create daily output files?  I am running the program again today so that I can see if the problem happens again tonight.
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »

The trial version can work about 2 hours only. Then you need to restart the program.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: