AGG Software Forums
September 16, 2024, 10:43:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on our forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Advanced TCP/IP data logger (Professional)  (Read 72980 times)
Adamastor77
« on: May 25, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »

Hello,

We have just installed and configured Advanced TCP/IP data logger (Professional license) and everything works great but one important detail:

Advanced TCP/IP data logger has been installed on a virtual PC on our data server (see pics attached for "Device" configuration.

The software receives data from a serial server connected to a machine-tool. The problem is when we switch off the machine (for maintenance reasons) or when there is a power breakdown. It switches off automatically the server. Once the server is restarted, I also have to close Advanced TCP/IP data logger software and restart it. Otherwise no data is transmitted (it even crashes the pc that commands our machine-tool when we try to send data...)

Is there anything we could set on Advanced TCP/IP data logger software in order to avoid this ? In the case the serial server is restarted, we shouldn't have to restart the software.

Thank you for your help
Best Regards

Luis

* Device_settings_1.jpg (70.85 KB, 466x455 - viewed 7 times.)

* Device_settings_2.jpg (42.48 KB, 467x456 - viewed 3 times.)

* Device_settings_3.jpg (64.24 KB, 467x456 - viewed 10 times.)
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 09:25:55 PM »

The software should reconnect to your machine automatically (after 30 seconds). Is it possible the program displays any error in the main window? Did you activate the program protocol at Options - Program options - Protocol?
Adamastor77
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:38:29 PM »

If we launch the software while the serial server is switched off, it works the way you describe (connection is shown as closed, software tries a new attempt every 30 s, when the serial server is switched on: connection is opened - OK)

But if we switch off the serial server while the software is activated, software still sees the connection as opened (the same if we disconnect the serial server ethernet cable).
That's the problem. And when we switch on again the serial server, nothing works. When we try to send data through the network, software doesn't get it and it even crashes the NC machine.

To answer your question, the program protocol is activated (see pic in attachment).
If you need anything more in order to help me, let me know.

Best Regards
   Luis

* Protocol_settings.jpg (74.17 KB, 470x455 - viewed 5 times.)
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 04:19:37 PM »

Please, activate the TCP-IP keep alive mode. In this case the program will try to detect broken connections.
Adamastor77
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:56:33 PM »

I've already made the test with Keep Alive mode activated. It didn't work. Keep alive settings were set to custom values:

Interval: 60 s
TimeOut: 1 s

Firstly we switched off the serial server and the connection was still open for the software, even after 3 minutes. We even removed the ethernet cable from the serial server (while it was switched off) and it changed nothing:  connection was still open for the software.
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »

Please, try system settings, sometimes, the custom settings may not work.
Adamastor77
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:00:20 PM »

why not... I've only got one problem: the default value for the KeepAliveTime is 2 hours (as per the software documentation - page 17). That's too much because our machine-tool sends data every 1h30min. So I need to change them.

In that doc, it is written that the values for KeepAliveInterval and KeepAliveTime are stored in the following Windows registry: 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
KeepAliveTime (32-bit number) = milliseconds
KeepAliveInterval (32-bit number) = milliseconds

My problem is that those values (KeepAliveTime and KeepAliveInterval) do not exist on the computer we are running the software on. Why ? May I create them ?

Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 10:49:39 AM »

Yes, you can create these values.
Adamastor77
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »

Thanks, I will test it next week. By the way, am I supposed to see anything on the application window (a message by example) when the keep alive signal is sent and retrieved by the software ?? Or is it hidden to the user ?
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 08:13:15 AM »

This signal is hidden for user and our software.
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 09:14:19 AM »

Hello, Luis.

Today, I've tested Advanced TCP/IP Data Logger v3.5.3.129 with MOXA NPort 5110 and Keep-Alive works as expected. Below are my settings.

NPort Administrator Settings:

TCP Alive = 1 min (minimum value, therefore TCP/IP Data Logger will detect a broken connection before the Nport device);

Max Connection = 3 (because the NPort device may not close the previous TCP connection and TCP/IP Data Logger will not be able to reconnect)

Please, note that the router in our office and my firewall can handle TCP Keep-Alive messages properly. Some routers and firewalls can block TCP Keep-Alive messages and therefore it will not work properly.

* s1.GIF (0 KB - downloaded 1 times.)

* s2.GIF (12.28 KB, 467x456 - viewed 8 times.)

* s4.JPG (65.21 KB, 697x557 - viewed 9 times.)

* s5.JPG (40.5 KB, 631x455 - viewed 7 times.)

* s6.JPG (40.47 KB, 631x455 - viewed 6 times.)

* s7.JPG (40.27 KB, 533x494 - viewed 7 times.)

* s3.GIF (9.31 KB, 527x199 - viewed 7 times.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:25:02 AM by Arthur Grasin » Logged
Adamastor77
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 01:53:30 PM »

Hello Arthur,

Thanks a lot for your help. You gave me enough ammunition to make several tests. I will try those settings with Advanced TCP/IP data logger as well as some tests with Advanced serial data logger.
And I will keep you updated.

Best Regards
   Luis
Adamastor77
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »

I have made a few tests with Advanced TCP/IP data logger (Professional) and it nearly works:

KeepAlive modes:
  • custom:  this one definitely doesn't work. No matter which the values are.
  • system:   This one nearly works. The only remaining issue is that KeepAliveTime is always 2 hours, no matter the values entered in the windows register

Windows register modifications:

Added value in:   HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
                        KeepAliveEnable  REG_DWORD  0x00000001 (1)

Added values in:  HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
                        KeepAliveTime        REG_DWORD  0x0000ea60 (60000)
                        KeepAliveInterval    REG_DWORD  0x000003e8 (1000)

In this case, KeepAliveTime is set to 60000 ms = 60 seconds. KeepAliveTime is still 2 hours since last successful data transfer. why ?

At least that means that both my router and firewall can handle keepalive messages. We need to set
this KeepAliveTime to any duration lower than 1h20 (the shortest part time being machined on the machine).

I have set Moxa NPort as per your last e-mail
I didn't make any tests with Advanced serial data logger.

Thank you in advance
    Luis
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 03:44:06 PM »

Hello, Luis.

I'm sorry, but I can't say why the system changes the KeepAliveTime time. Could you try to reboot the PC after you set the new value? Do you use Windows XP?
Toot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 03:33:27 AM »

Luis,

Back to the problem on your 1st message. Have you thought about keeping the power on to the serial converter? And also try to find a power source for your server that does not get switched off.

By the way. The converter that i am using, the ACT1000 stays always open. I have been testing for almost a week including a weekend. The TCP port stays open. Thursday i get three more ACT's and will use them with the same TCP/IP data logger software hoping the other three IP numbers will behave the same.

good luck,
Otto
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: