AGG Software Forums
September 20, 2024, 04:12:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on our forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need example vba to create DDE link in MS Access form  (Read 24033 times)
Toot

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2010, 07:37:25 AM »

I need help setting up a DDE link using ms access. I am familiar using VBA. I've need to switch to DDE links because ODBC links (which works really great) do not update a value on a form automatically but in the background straight into the mdb. I need the data to appear (refresh) on a screen when new data arrives.

Please help, i need a good example. I probably can figure out loose ends myself.

Thanks
Otto
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »

Hello, Otto

I'm sorry, but we don't have a VBA programmer in our office. Therefore I've searched in Google. Please, look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189498 (INFO: How to Use DDE in Visual Basic to Communicate with Other Windows Programs)

For example, LinkTopic in Excel is:

Code:
asdlog|ddesrv!srviDATA_PACKET

The article above shows that you can use the "LinkNotify" event in your code.
Toot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 05:27:21 AM »

Arthur,

The example u suggested is strictly for visual basic. I am running MsAccess with VB for access in back ground.

I've been looking up lot's of information to Use DDE server. What i need a way to send a Field Postamble DDE command. This needs to be send after the last data that was recieved from IP address.

When i make a macro in VB, the macro will automatically become a valid DDE command as long as the database is open. This is something i've been looking for a long time.

This seems to be the only way to create a trigger between TCP/IP datalogger and my MsAccess database to refresh data in a form.

Can your DDE server software send postamble DDE commands towards msaccess? please help.

Thank You,
Otto
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:00:17 AM by Toot » Logged
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:13:04 AM »

Otto,

Because I can't help you here with DDE and VBA, I would offer you to try the ActiveX control.
Toot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »

Arthur,

Is this a plugin for the TCP/IP version? Can it be used for TCP/IP or RS232 only? Right now i have flawless connection with your TCP/IP datalogger. It even re-connects when power was down.

I am very interested to try this, i have little to no experience with ActiveX though. I hope there are some examples to use this with Access.

I would love to have this ActiveX do some triggering in my front end database. Besides that i would like to keep ODBC connection too as backup when front end is not running as redundancy.

I will look up the documentation you have on this. I will need more help.

Thanks,
Otto
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: