AGG Software Forums
September 16, 2024, 11:35:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on our forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Complete uninstall.  (Read 27232 times)
henrols

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:20:57 PM »

Hi,
I was going to evaluate ASPM but after installing and rebooting the machine (running Win7 64bit) none of my COM ports was available for use any more and they all had a yellow exclamation mark in the device manager, so did the LPT-port for some reason. Everything was OK before installing Advanced Serial Port Monitor.

I have three serial ports, one on the motherboard and two on a PCI-card, all three was working fine before installing ASPM, now none of them works. I uninstalled ASPM but the problem persisits and I can't seem reinstall the drivers for the add-on card or get the onboard port to work by re-installing the chipset drivers for the motherboard.

Running Windows update finds the drivers for the PCI card but the installation fails for no apparent reason. Uninstalling the ports from the device manager and rebooting the machine brings up the "new hardware wizard" but it fails to installation of the device drivers fails and my ports remains unusable.

I need to get this up and running ASAP and would appreciate any advice on what I can do to completely undo whatever the ASPM intaller did, stealth driver (or what it's called), register settings, the lot.

Thank you in advance!
   /Henrik Olsson.
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:30:03 AM »

Hello Henrik.

Our uninstall program executes all necessary operations:

1. Starts "aspmtools.exe /drv:remove" to remove the driver service;
2. Removes aspmon.sys from windows\system folder.

But our software can't stop your ports, because uses the driver in run-time only. The driver begins its work when you press the "Start" button in the GUI application. Of course, we've tested our software on same OS and didn't encounter this problem.
henrols

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:44:01 PM »

Dear Arthur,
Thank you for yor reply.
It may be a coincidence then but still, my ports was working just up to the point of installing ASPM and rebooting, after which none of them works and I'm trying to figure out what to do to get them back up and running.

I re-installed ASPM and rebooted (still no working ports and their drivers refuse to install, Windows finds the correct drivers but the installation fails). I then tried running aspmtools.exe /drv:remove from the command prompt but get a message saying Removing driver....failed [5] Does that give you any clue as to what might have happened?

Thank you!
  /Henrik.
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »

This is "Access denied" error code. Please, launch the CMD.exe as an administrator, go to the program folder and execute the "aspmtools.exe /drv:remove" command within this console window.

Start - Find - cmd - Right click over the CMD icon and select "Run as administrator".
henrols

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 10:52:57 PM »

Thanks Arthur,
Before seeing your latest reply I did a system restore to a point before installing ASPM and all the ports came back to life - great! Curious as I am though I re-downloaded ASPM, re-installed, rebooted and everything is still OK, all ports are still working.

I have NO idea what might have happened or what I've might have done the first time to make it hick up that badly or if it was a coincidence. All I can say is that it now works and that I really appreciate the assistance!

Sincerely,
   /Henrik.
Arthur Grasin
Tech. Support
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:12:11 AM »

Hello, Henrik!

Great! You are welcome!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: